Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Academic Troglodytes




Ugh. Another professor who doesn't allow laptops.

Seriously, it's not charmingly Luddite, and it doesn't make me "think you mean business." I'm adult, and I am not going to be playing solitaire during class. I don't need you tell me how to most effectively engage in classwork. If I zone out, it's my loss.

Yes, I know how to take handwritten notes, and yes, I did it for years. I still do it on occasion. So let's just drop the "students don't know how to takes notes anymore" hoo-ha. I'm all for teaching students scholarly fundamentals, but sometimes technology just...you know...makes more sense. Especially in a very complex class. Guess what? I can take notes more quickly on a computer, which means I don't miss half of what's said because I'm too busy writing what was said before it. Better notes = better work. Also, if I need to take two seconds to look up a detail that will make my comprehension, not to mention my comments, stronger, are you really going to begrudge that?



Let's also dispense with this "postmodern babies have no attention span and will float into never-never land at the sight of a flashing pixel" malarkey. I'm perfectly capable of paying attention in class, and even if I do have brief moments of disengagement, as everyone does, do you really think not allowing computers is going to prevent that? In fact, it might make it worse.

There is nothing inherently better about doing things the hard way, and especially not when the results are inferior. I cook from scratch because the product is usually better, and the work is gratifying. What's better about taking fewer notes with less detail, and, meanwhile, missing important information? People use computers now. You're going to have to wrap your brain around it. Everyone will be okay.

I'm not some frenzied progressive who thinks anything traditional is naive or stupid. I cling to certain academic fundamentals too, and yes, I lament the diminishing grasp on writing mechanics, grammar, style, etc., among some of the students I've taught (no, not all of them). And yes, having the opportunity to go to college is an immense opportunity that shouldn't be squandered. But you know what? Working in a way that suits one best is not squandering.

Also, if you really do have a problem with advanced students not paying attention, maybe you need to take a peek at your teaching methods?

It basically comes down to having enough respect for graduate students to let them work the way they need to. It's condescending to insinuate that I have the attention span of a squirrel on meth. I didn't choose to go into a PhD program on a whim, or because I find this kind of work uninteresting. Moreover, I didn't GET INTO a PhD program by being a crappy student. Sure, there are plenty of grad students who zone out. Their problem. I'm here to do my work, and I don't need someone telling me how I'm allowed to process information.


No comments:

Post a Comment